Mom has started treatment as mentioned earlier - she's taking a drug called Femara, which is considered hormone therapy (as opposed to chemotherapy). She really is doing better, but that's not to say she's 100% by any means. She was feeling really short of breath a few days ago and decided to call the doctor on Friday morning, who ordered a chest x-ray and another thoracentecis if the x-ray indicated it was needed. Sure enough, the x-ray showed the lung was full of fluid again, so off she went to radiology department for another 'tap'. This time seemed much easier than the previous two taps and when I picked her up at the hospital Friday evening she was feeling pretty well. If she ends up needing the lung taps on a regular basis, the doctor will likely do some sort of chemo directly into the lung area to help nip it in the bud. I don't exactly understand how this works, but if it becomes necessary I'll do a little digging on Dr. Internet and figure out what is involved.
In the meantime, Mom really is doing much better. I can see a noticable change in her disposition the last couple days. Her house is really cheerful right now thanks to an assortment of beautiful flower arrangements from friends and loads of cards. I brought her groceries and am happy to report that she is eating well.
Thanks again for everyone who is sending thoughts and prayers our way. It helps so much. I am trying to play around with the settings on this blog so folks can comment without needing to sign up. Give me a little time to figure it out, but I'm pretty sure there is a way to create a "guest book" without folks needing to create a silly account on Google or whatever. Stay tuned.
Saturday, June 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment