Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Thoracentecis

Today Mom had a procedure to remove the fluid from her left lung. It went fine and they removed a quart and a half of fluid. It was a big day and thankfully her friend Sally was able to take her home after and is keeping her overnight. I chatted with Mom on the phone and she has a headache (from no coffee) and some lung pain, which I assume is expected given how her lung is getting back to normal now that the fluid is drained.

Tomorrow is her PET/CT scan, which we expect will give a lot of information. She has to eat a restricted diet tonight of low carb/high protein. Sally is making her a ham/cheese omelette, which sounds pretty yummy.

We expect to get a lot of diagnostic data from the scan tomorrow and Mom has a follow up visit on Monday to talk over the results with Dr. Johnston, her oncologist. I think the next couple weeks are going to be pretty overwhelming, but we need to get the data so we can formulate the best treatment plan. We also have a second opinion a week from today with Dr. Rinn, who is my oncologist (and walks on water in my opinion).

I will post more tomorrow after the PET/CT and again on Monday after her meeting with the oncologist. Unfortunately I won't be able to join her on Monday because I'll be dealing with my own issues. I am scheduled for surgery of my own on Monday afternoon (nothing to worry about, just a "correction" for me). But, I anticipate getting the full report from Mom and Sally, who has volunteered again to tag along.

No comments:

Post a Comment